James Gordon Bennett Jr. (May 10, 1841 – May 14, 1918) was publisher of the New York Herald, founded by his father, James Gordon Bennett Sr., who emigrated from Scotland. He was generally known as Gordon Bennett to distinguish him from his father. Among his many sports-related accomplishments he organized both the first polo match and the first tennis match in the United States, and he personally won the first trans-oceanic yacht race. He sponsored explorers including Henry Morton Stanley’s trip to Africa to find David Livingstone, and the ill-fated USS Jeannette attempt on the North Pole. Continue reading
On 12 April 1961, the Vostok 3KA-3 (Vostok 1) spacecraft with Gagarin aboard was launched from Baikonur Cosmodrome. Gagarin thus became both the first human to travel into space, and the first to orbit the Earth. His call sign was Kedr (Russian: Кедр, Siberian pine or Cedar).
The radio communication between the launch control room and Gagarin included the following dialogue at the moment of rocket launch: Continue reading
21-27 August, 2017
20th European Air Balloon Championships, Brissac, France
- ED: David Levin
- Status: 2nd round of invitation running. Ends 18th April
- Contact: Martine Besnainou, email@example.com
4th Women Hot Air Balloon Championship, Leszno, Poland
- ED: Moniek vande Velde
- Status: 2nd round of invitation running. Ends 30th April
- Contact: Bogdan Prawicki – firstname.lastname@example.org
61st Coupe Gordon Bennett, Fribourg, Switzerland
- ED: Markus Haggeney
- Status: 25 entries, final entry 15th April
- Contact: Serge COLLAUD, email@example.com
Slovenian Open Championship, Sporting event, Murska Sobota, Slovenia
- ED: Thomas Herndl, CIA loggers
- Invitation: All FAI members. Entry deadline: 6 June 2017.
- Entry fee: 150€ includes maps, breakfast, lunch, opening/closing ceremony. No propane, no accomodation.
- Contact: Matjaž Pavlinjek, firstname.lastname@example.org
20e COUPE D’EUROPE DE MONTGOLFIERES & 25e COUPE DU MONDE DES DAMES. Sporting event, NOUVELLE AQUITAINE – BLANZAC-PORCHERESSE, France
- ED: Jacques Bernardin, loggers,
- Invitation process: 1-31 March 2017
- Entry fee: 290 € (3+ pilot) Accommodation, breakfast, brunch after morning flights, dinner, propane, pilot’s pack, maps
- Contact: Viviane Barbot, email@example.com
Minsk 950th Anniversary Balloon Cup, Sporting event, Minsk, Belarus
- Entry Fee: Before 1 July, 200€, after 1 July, 300€. Includes gas, map, CIA loggers, accomodation (2 nights), breakfast and lunch for 4 persons, opening and closing ceremony.
- Contact: Anton Bystrov, Sec. Gen. of Belarusian Fed. of Air Sports, firstname.lastname@example.org
1st Central European and 2nd Szeged Balloon Cup, Sporting event, Szeged, Hungary
- ED: Zoltan Palhegyi, CIA loggers
- Invitation: All FAI members. Entry until 10 June, 2017. Entry Fee: Before 10 May, 100€, after 10 May, 200€. Includes gas, map, breakfast and lunch for 4 persons, free camping at airport.
- Contact: Zoltán Pálhegyi
He flew from Torrey Pines, San Diego in California to Waverley, Georgia in 73 hours 20mins, a distance of 2074kms. The balloon was gas balloon Abruzzo GROM-1. Reg. N96YD,landing on February 5th 2003. On the weekend of the flight, the equipment was driven to California from Albuquerque by crewmembers Leonard Saiz and Jeremy Dorcas. They also provided the retrieve for the flight. The sandbags were filled and the system was assembled on Saturday. It all finally came together and the balloon was launched exactly at 12:00 noon PST. Continue reading
Jean-François Pilâtre de Rozier with Joseph Montgolfier, he was one of six passengers on a second flight on 19 January 1784, with a huge Montgolfier balloon Le Flesselles launched from Lyon. Four French nobles paid for the trip, including a prince.
26 years ago today 15th January, Per Lindstrand and Richard Branson, began their Pacific crossing by hot air balloon. Two days later they landed in Yellowknife, Canada on 17th January 1991. They had achieved the first Pacific crossing by hot air balloon.
Post Christmas quiz from the Met Office to test your brains! What Cloud are You? Look the image and share what cloud you are!
source: Met Office
FAI Sporting Event – CIA sanction pending
We would like to invite you to the BorTér winefestival, where more than 100 wineries presents excellent products and the second Szeged Airshow which is the largest flying event in the region and to the first Central European Cup hot air balloon competition and to the second Szeged Ballon Cup fiesta.
The Event will run from 13th September 2017. The last flying day will be 16th September PM unless the minimum tasks under rule 1.2 have not been achieved, in which case the last flying day will be 17th September AM.
The entry fee is 100 EUR if you pay it before 10th May and it’s includes are FAI loggers, officials, electronic maps and rules, propane for the flights, light breakfast and lunch for pilot + 3 (Thursday – Friday – Saturday), pilot pack souvenirs, free camping facilities on the airport with your own equipment. If you don’t want to camp then you should manage and pay your accommodation.
The organisers will accept the first 40 valid entries.
27th Balloon Meeting in Őcsény, 01st – 08th October 2016
Morning flight is cancelled. Next Briefing at 1600 06/10/2016
Competition map in TIFF format with OziExplorer calibration (13 MB).
Competition map in OZF format (15 MB).
Competition map in RMAP format (TwoNav, CompeGPS).
Track and waypoint file of Gemenc restricted area, 1500 ft (450 m) AGL, 1800 ft (550m) MSL.
Schedule Continue reading